VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: December 15, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

December 15, 1943

(Letter from Vic to younger brother Paul, from the South Seas to Oakland, CA.)

Dear Paul,

Just a few supplementary lines to yesterday's line.

Will enclose a photo of Elmer Balzer that he sent recently. Send it on home to the folks unless you wish to keep it. The humidity is very bad on such stuff over here so I usually send all photos home eventually. Jacke V asked for some pictures the other day but as I didn't have any of myself I sent him the one you recently sent. Do you write Jake or Elmer and have you heard from them?

Certainly hope the bulk of my Xmas packages arrive soon. Some of them were mailed way back in Oct.

Can't understand the gifts some people persist in sending. I've gotten some face soap and sugar lumps and now Rudy said he'd mailed V-Mail stationery, socks, and tooth powder. Though we appreciate these items, I've said again and again they're issue.

The hunting knife and stone Ruts is sending will be appreciated greatly and the socks, provided they're wool, and tooth power, Ipana paste is better, can readily be used. V-mail is out with me at least and one can have loads of it here for free. Most guys dislike receiving it so naturally refrain from sending it.

The ammunition I asked about should have read 9mm Luger. I stated that correction immediately to Karl G. 'cause I didn't think you could get it. I appreciate your efforts. Karl had sold his Woodsman to Gerieke and neglected to mention the one Bill Mc Coy had. He may have been drafted so it would be difficult if not hopeless. Had you gotten one and sent it then I doubt whether I'd have received it by now and if you mailed one, say now, I might be back home after victory is won before it might possibly catch up.

Some packages travel none too swiftly and you can readily uinderstand war materials must always have utmost priorities to insure prompt delivery to the fighting fronts.

Bill Fiala should be home now for the winter season. He thinks you disliked sailing the Great Lakes. Do you write him frequently?

Your Brother
Vic

No comments: