VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: November 5, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

November 5, 1943


(Letter from Vic to brother Rudy, written from the South Pacific to Passaic, New Jersey. In the right corner of the envelope is the writing "Censored by (no name) Lt, F.A. Above that is a stamp "Passed by U.S. Army Examiner 25603". The Passaic post office stamped the envelope on January 6th, 1944. Picture shows overturned and beached U.S. landing craft at Cape Tokorina, Bougaineville, Solomon Islands - which had been invaded by Marines on November 1. The first units in Vic's 37th Army Division began arriving on November 9.)

Friday

Dear Rudy and Ann,

Thought I'd write now that I have some time. Recently received all the old letter's you'd addressed to former addresses of mine.

Imagine your draft board must've taken action by now so I might next hear you're in the service, Ruts. Let me know how you make out.

You've probably noted these parts have flared into action. Keep writing as frequently as possible and I'll answer as often as I have time.

If you wish to send me something I could use a sturdy flash-light that'll focus and a cigarette lighter with flint and fluid. Perhaps those items aren't purchaseable in civilian life. You can imagine the scarcity of them over here.

The flash-light'll have to take the common 1 cell 1 1/2 v battery. Whenever you have any late issues of Time, Newsweek, Literary Digest, etc. or good novels or non fiction book or material kindly forward same on over here but remember to wrap them in packages of such weight as to comply with postal regulations. The first two articles (provided they don't weigh too much" could be packed and sent via air-mail thus saving time amounting to at least several months.

Is 120 film difficult to get back there?

Gil sent me a letter again recently and seems to be doing Ok at the shop. How does Ann like her job now? Is Joe working at that glass place in N.Y.? Has Wally recovered enough to walk around now? Write soon!

'Case my letters don't come so regularly I'm sending you my Yuletide greeting now - by wishing you all a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Sincerely,
Vic

No comments: