VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: October 30, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

October 30, 1943


(Letter from Vic to his parents, Emilie and Peter in Racine, Wisconsin. In bottom left corner of envelope, reads "Censored by John L Paul, Lt., F.A". At right is an undated photo of Vic in the South Pacific not wearing his glasses.)

Saturday

Dear Folks,

Will have time to write a few lines this morning before chow. Hope we have the rare treat of fresh meat but don't think it very probably.

Received the second pack of air-mail envelopes and stationery you forwarded me but not the fruit cake you mentioned. Please realize that some packages only take a month and a half to cover the distance while others are enroute for as high as six months.

Made out a War Dept. Personal Transfer Allotment form for $22.00 so the check for that amount should reach you from Washington shortly. Have you received any more of my war bonds? Don't put any more of my money into bonds for the present as I now have $25 per month going into them from my pay. Please use the $22.00 P.T.A. check for something you'd like to purchase for yourself.

Will try to mail you a package to-day containing my civilian glasses and wrist watch which I would like to have repaired. Will you please take the glasses to Racine Optical and tell them to insert a lense in the left side? My army reading is "OD-350 -2x165/OS-45 Out Ou 1 1/2mm/PD 69-242-4 1/2-42"

When you show them these figures please remember to tell them that the size of my army lens is probably included therein and that it should be disregarded. I want the lense diameter the same as the unbroken one.

The wrist watch has several items to be repaired. If it cannot be readily fixed try to purchase a reliable but reasonably priced one. I understand it's very difficult to obtain watches in civilian life. However, please don't purchase an expensive or Swiss wrist watch. I'll forward the money after my next pay.

A word about Lease-lend in reverse as regards our fighting Allies of the South-West Pacific. Many supplies and rations we use come from Australia and New Zealand. They're contributing much towards defeating the Axis, and seemingly few people back in the States are too easily included to think we're furnishing everything. Theyre good troops and we get along swell with them.

Best regards - write soon.

Your son,
Victor

No comments: