VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: April 4, 1944          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

April 4, 1944


(Letter from Vic to younger brother Paul, from Bougainville in the Solomon Islands to Berkeley, CA. Photos show a flipped tank and U.S. soldiers posing above a corpse.)

Dear Paul,

After re-reading your letter of the 11th March I find there was a number of points I'd neglected to cover in my reply of yesterday.

Reason for my previous letter's sloppiness was lack of stationary and preparing its contents into understandabe paragraphs in sequence.

Well, I've decided to enclose a few snapshots of damaged Japanese materiel and deceased personnel. There are four in all, and I'd appreciate a very prompt reply on your part indicating whether or not any of them were confiscate. Thus I can judge whether and what to send next.

With the pay for work at the Oakland Army Base I can't imagine how you could possibly pay for your meals. In additions to that you have your rooming bill? How do you manage it? Are you getting sufficient good food to work on? Did the Vets Administration get around to helping you? Are you still receiving their meager compensation.

I've two hundred 'n' fifty smackers in soldiers savings plus some in the bank home so don't worry about me. Put that dough into S.S. since I came overseas and also have twenty-five a month going towards bonds. Lately I've dropped some in poker. It's fun but boring after much of it. Doing some reading but can't seem to concentrate on books and magazines of late. We have a fair supply of late material on hand these days.


It was most interesting to learn something of the composition of the students at your college. Imagine those foreign students entered school before the war began. Are any of them exchange or fellowship students? I don't imagine you can understand any of the Icelandic tongue. I should estimate Yuts to have been a good three hundred miles away at his last writing. Bob H. and Phil M. both owe me letters so I can't give you any news concerning them. I correspond with quite a number of home-town fellows and it helps pass the time. Surprising how regular most G.I.'s reply to there buddies. They realize the morale value of mail moreso than civvies.

Glad to hear you've friends and are fairly well acquainted around the campus. Let me know how you're coming along, and take it easy, but take it!

Best regards from you brother,
Vic

No comments: