VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: July 27, 1944          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

July 27, 1944


(Letter from Vic to younger brother Paul, sent from Bougainville, Solomon Islands to Berkeley, California. Photo shows artillery gun crew in action during late 1943 or early 1944.)

Thursday evening,

Haven't had a word from you for some time now and was wondering what's causing the delay on your end of the line. Please write as often as you can spare the time and in as great detail as possible. Should my letters appear less frequently in the future don't regard it as incourtesy. Just that we may not be able to write as often as usual when we become engaged in an operation. However, it might turn out that we will have ample opportunity to write as often as we care to do so.

Am enclosing two negatives that cannot be satisfactorily printed up over here. They're old but in fair condition so I'd appreciate copies whenever you can have some made (if so). You may not notice anything unusual about them but they happen to be positives. By that I mean that if printed the copies would come out in reverse, or as negatives. That's why I'm in doubt as to whether or not you can successfully get prints made.

There's no particular hurry for this work on my part so please don't inconvenience yourself merely to have it done. Most anytime'll do should it be possible to get a negative made of this film in order to make up positives. Sorry I couldn't enclose them at the time I last forwarded you film but I didn't have them here on hand. Would've been far better to've sent them then,I realize, so that I could've had these few odd things made up. Won't be sending anything more in this line for probably months 'cause there just isn't practical scenes and subjects to photograph hereabouts.

Now don't get the idea these are good. Just that they're of some fellows I was out on liaison work back around Xmas, and I'd like to have something to remember that particular time & place by. What are your views as regards to the so-called G I Bill of Rights? Won't you be able to qualify for financial assistance from the Gov't for educational purposes under that law? Heard it covers anyone entering the armed forces after Sept. 15, 1940 and that was under 25 yrs. of age at that time. Didn't you join the navy shortly afterwards and have you fully investigated the qualifications.

Most close now 'cause lights are going out and I'm quite fatigued this evening. Will write you via v or air mail within a day or two 'cause this letter'll probably be en-route for four or five weeks. Write soon and regularly.

Best regards from
Your brother,
Vic

No comments: