VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: November 31, 1944          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

November 31, 1944

(Letter from Vic in Bougainville to his parents, Peter and Emilie, in Racine. Photo shows Vic holding a bottle of beer.)

Friday

Dear Folks,

During the past several days I've written to Paul, Rudy, and Ed, and urged each of them to write you more regularly. Let me know if any response on their part has been forthcoming. Notice none of them've been too prompt to answer of late.

For about ten or twelve days we had no rain and the dust caused by heavy traffic was terrific. The sky was cloudless and it was very hot and unusually dry for the tropics. However on Wednesday some rain fell which amounted to at least temporary relief from the dust. Since then it's been cloudy and rain seems iminent.

I understand that Ran DeFaut was expected home. Did he arrive, and if so, did you talk to him?

Paul said he wasn't very lucky while hunting in Wis recently so don't imagine you had any pheasant during the past season. Boy! I'd certainly like to be home now for deer and rabbit hunting season.

I sent you a $50.00 P.T.A. check the other day. Please inform me upon receipt of same. Are prices very stable now? What foodstuffs are still rationed?

Last week I saw an exceptionally good film on the past campaign here that was filmed by an Army photographical unit. The screen journal completely covered all the operations and was so detailed as to indentify specific units in the engagements. A good commentary accompanied the film and it was very well edited and arranged. However I don't believe you'll be able to see it 'cause it may contain too much info for public release at this time.

During recent months the Japs have been working overtime jamming the Frico shortwave news broadcasts so I don't imagine they intend we should be getting any straight dope. On their own programs, Jap announcers will say something like "Any interference on the frequency is caused by American authorities in Hawaii." Thus they intend to discredit us but still continue to interfere with the reception of Am. programs being broadcast for Allied forces overseas.

A short time ago we were given a lecture on security measures. The counter Intelligence Corps (CIC) is really on the ball but deserve more cooperation than they normally receive. Surprising to learn of some incidents that've happened in the past.

Has Bob Hoey been home yet? If he arrived when expected, I imagine he's already completed his furlough and is now back at some Marine base. Did he visit you? Once I thought he was in a Marine Division that we had occasion to work with but later learned I was mistaken.

I still haven't been able to find out whether Jake Valentine arrived Home yet. If he has, I believe he must've visited you. What did he have to mention concerning his travels down in these waters? Jake was fortunate to've spent so much time in Australia. I understand he got around there considerably.

It's fast approaching chow time so I'd best sign off so that I can wash up a bit. I'll write again at my first opportunity.

Best regards from your son,
Victor

No comments: