VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: October 2, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

October 2, 1943

(Letter from Vic to Paul, from the South Seas to Oakland, CA. In bottom corner of envelope reads "Censored by R O McClendon 1st LT., F.A. as illustrated below.)

Saturday noon,

Overseas

Dear Paul,

I just received your letter of Sept. 10 from Oakland and thought I'd answer promptly. There'll be a number of questions I have to ask of you so kindly answer immediately.

First, I don't understand your position as regards location, job, reasons, etc. You may have written earlier, but I as yet haven't received any others. Fact is, I haven't even received any mail from the folks nor Rudy and Ed since coming overseas. Evidently you are not addressing the letter correctly & including your own. That last provision is compulsory before any mail will even start moving.

Just where are you working and at what pay rate? Did you come out to the West Coast thru the U.S. Employment Bureau? Wyhatever made you leave your job in Racine? Do you intend going to school in Calif.? Isn't that climate there bad on you? Inland just a few miles it is much drier and warmer.

I am well acquainted with those parts and know. At present the Bay area should be having its' best seasonal weather. Isn't that work too heavy for you or aren't you in the least heeding doctor's orders?

Ray Reed seems to be in that Seabee camp just east and slightly south of Oakland on the road to Stockton - am I correct? PRD and Camp Stoneman are almost due north of there about ten miles cross-country. His place lies on the n. side of the high-way. No?

Give Yuts my address and tell him to write. That whole district is known as Navy grounds, and their liberty is far greater than the passes doled out to Army personnel.

I can now say that I was in Noumea, New Caledonia and the following Solomon Islands: Guadalcanal, Sasevele, and Roviana. The latter two are in the New Georgia group and Roviana lies just off the Numda air-strip. Any questions? Naturally we can't give our present location.

I had a touch of fever but am OK now. Write via air mail.

Your brother,
Vic

No comments: