VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: October 30, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

October 30, 1943

(Letter written from Vic to younger brother Paul, for security reasons addressed simply from'Overseas' to Oakland, California.)

Saturday,

Dear Paul,

Received your letter of October 17 to-day and also one from the folks. Paul, did I mention in my last letter that all of your old letters to me finally caught up with me? There were so many from a number of people. I'm still behind in replying.

This coming Monday you will probably be starting attending college. Hope this letter is forwarded you promptly. Don't forget to write soon from you new address and let me know what courses you're taking. Were your credits from Tri-State and Michigan State good there? I've heard that's a very beautiful campus. Only passed thru Berkely once but thought it was quite favorable as a place to reside.

The State Capitol of Calif., Sacremento, is a nice city, too, and is only about 80 miles from you. Should you have a spare week-end sometime in the future, hitch-hike east (or inland) to Antioch, then cross the river and follow the highway north into the Capitol. Coming back you can either go south-east to Stockton or south-west to Valejo.

Going north from Frisco a hundred miles or so you run into the redwood region. That's quite a large state, as you will begin to see. The central sections are the worst (from Camp Roberts east to Bakersfield and on to Death Valley).

Just received a brief line from Ray Campbell dated July 6. Your verification of his whereabout checked with latest I'd heard of his ship. Wasn't his craft that went under as I mentioned but one with number close thereabouts. You may have read of the action as it isn't exactly new now.

He's been in long enough to be eligible for C.P.O. Radioman 1st Class is equivalent to Technical Sgt. in the army which has a base pay of $114. Ray'll be drawing longevity sometime this month, no? Hope he does OK at a naval college. Tell him to write me if you are in communication with him. Is it a naval O.C.S.? He must've had radar experience, no?

Bill has written me three times now within the past 2 1/2 months. Best I get busy and answer him. Haven't had too much time.

Let me know how you've made out as regards Gov't tuition. Write promptly, regularly and in great detail.

Your brother,
Vic

No comments: