VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: Octover 20th, 1944          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

Octover 20th, 1944

(Letter from Vic in Bougainville to older brother Rudy and wife Ann in Passaic, New Jersey)

Friday evening,

Dear Ann and Rudy,

Thanks for your letter of the twenty-ninth Setp. with articles enclosed. I enjoy receiving any enlightening clippings so don't hesitate to send any you might think I'd enjoy reading in the future. However, please don't send me any additional packages unless I request something at a future date.


I'm enclosing a Xmas card to you in the form of a photo. It'll probably arrive considerably before the holidays but I thought it best to send some at this date due to the forthcoming seasonal mail rush.

Yes, I also received the clippings concerning Jake V. He should be home within a few wks. now 'cause he's already left on rotation.

From my personal viewpoint I'd say the Anzacs are good soldiers and are quite well informed concerning war developments. Haven't seen either of their home-lands so can't comment on their economic and social reforms, but from what I've heard I judge them to be very progressive. We can't mention anything of our association or contact with Australian or New Zealand troops, if any, simply because the present censorship regulations prohibit same.

Did all of the negatives and prints that I previously mentioned sending you during the past arrive OK? Some fellows have had film and photos bounce back or confiscated and I've understand a few of mine didn't get thru. Are you showing what few prints I've mailed your way to Ed & Rose before sending same on home as requested? Did you (rest of paragraph cut out by censor, about four lines)

If you don't receive word from me regularly in the future please don't hesitate to write me as often as you can. Sometimes we're kept busy or don't have the materials for correspondence on hand or the situation may hardly permit but I'll try my best to keep you informed as regards what little we may mention.

Sorry to learn of the huge cut-backs in production at Wrights that will probably result int he laying off of many men and women. Please keep me informed on the matter. Will it effect either you, Ann, Ed, or Git?

Was glad to hear of our invasion of the Philippines. Hope the war situation in Europe clears up in the near future. Write soon.

Best regards,
Vic

No comments: