VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: October 6, 1944          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

October 6, 1944


(Three V-Mails from Vic in Bougainville to parents and younger brother Paul in Racine Wisconsin. Photo is of newspaper Racine article on Vic.)

Dear Mother, Father & Paul,

In my letter of several days ago I neglected to mention several things hence this V-mailer. I hope you've already sent off a reply to my recent letters.

Several days ago I had a fifty dollar P.T.A. made out for mother. I wish she'd keep at least half to purchase something for herself and Pa as Xmas gifts from me and use the remainder to buy some articles for the rest of the family. Please acknowledge receipt of the P.T.A. check when it has arrived.

Should you ever meet Ned Sparks from Milw. in the near future please ask him for the complete address of the Frank Jones he mentioned being at this location. Apparently that G.I. is in one of the units within this division and I'd like to meet him. Kingly give Sparks my regards.

(2)

Paul, did I metnion to you that Representative Lawrence Smith claimed publicly that he was going to investigate the so-called War Dept. (Army) rotation plan as well as the shipping situation in the Pacific? Naturally this declaration got prominent billing in these G.I. inhabited parts and some soldiers even sent in multi-indorsed petitions encouraging his inquires and otherwise backing him.

It's bad that such a character be able to capitalize on such war conditions to gain publicity favorable to himself insofar as gaining votes from Wis. fellows in this theatre and others goes. Undoubtedly he's thinking in terms of the coming election and seeking to undermine faith in our government. His statement is particularly aimed at overseas service-men and their families and relatives at home. Unfortunate as the situation may appear regarding those issues he should be exposed and repudiated.

(3)

Recently I received quite a little propaganda in the form of a letter from one Karl Steinman in behalf of the J.I. Case Co. He asked that I write to Geo. Horst, Personnel Director, and state my desires regarding any requests I might have concerning my job at Case's.

Actually they want one to give reasons for wishing some different type job within the works or if one will be satisfied to go back to the old job. I don't imagine they're really "climbing out on a limb" or actually committing themselves, but they are evidently attempting to give the impression that the serviceman who was formerly in their employment will really go places when he gets back.

Say, does the Case Co. really intend to build a new main wks. or just some new depts. after the war, and have they signed a new contract with local 180?

Best regards,
Vic

No comments: