VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: May 2, 1944          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

May 2, 1944


(Letter from Vic to younger brother Paul, sent from Bougainville, Solomon Islands to Berkeley, California. The photos show a derelict cannon on Bougainville, and a 1939 picture of, from left to right, George (Yuts) Conrad, Paul Petersen and Clarence and Harvey Hansen posing in Civilian Conservation Corps uniforms in 1939. Both Hansen brothers joined the Navy; Harvey died at Pearl Harbour on the U.S.S. Arizona; Clarence on a ship in the Atlantic in 1942.)

Tuesday evening,

Dear Paul,

Your letter with the picture enclosed arrived Sunday. I hope the six snap-shots I'm inserting in this envelope arrive OK. Yes, I had a hunch those two prints you mentioned wouldn't get there. However, this mail is rapid and what won't pass the base censors via correspondence won't pass on one's person should a fellow be going back to the States. In other words, a fairly thorough search of one's possessions is made before boarded a U.S. bound vessel and what stuff is prohibited is thereupon confiscated.

Not that I'm going home - by any means! But I thought perhaps you'd care to see a few snap-shots from over thisaway before I get back (which won't be soon). One of these prints shows a Jap market and another one of their field pieces. Nothing new about these items so they should get thru. Let me know if they all arrived OK, and send same on to Rudy & Ed and ask them to forward them on home to the folks.

To say the least, your decision to leave the university came as a surprised. Of course you're old enough and intelligent enough to make your own decisions, but I can't agree with your action in this case. After the time, money, & effort you've already expended upon a college education I see no sensable reason to suddenly abandon the intention unless you're so thoroughly fed up with school that you in no way wish to attend. Well, we'll let it go at that.

However, the folks mentioned receiving one of your Vets checks at home recently so perhaps they've re-commenced sending you your monthly compensation. What's the story on that?

Say, last week I had a small G.I. Personal Transfer Allotment check made out to you. Don't send the money home. Use it to cover some of the cost of any books I mentioned that I'd like to receive.

Please give me more dope about your job. I hope you don't intend trying to work a sixty hour week or some such tough grind. If I were you I certainly would not put in more than fourty-eight hours per week. If you wish to bring on another relaspe that's your business. How is your general health at present?

Do you intend to remain at this address? Should you move please forward me your new location immediately. How many of you are there at your present apartment?

Yuts Conrad has written me about three times during the past month, and says I haven't replied since before the rumpus starter here. That's not the case for I've answered him several times, but there must certainly be some delay enroute. Jake V. and Max M. write me regularly now and I just received two V-mailers from Bill F. The Symmes family said Dick is in Sardinia having left N. Africa. Write soon.

Best regards from
Your brother, Vic

P.S. - Could you possibly send me a copy of "Serenade" by James M. Cain or "To a God Unknown" by John Steinbeck or both? If the latter novel is of "Cup of Gold" or "Tortilla Flat" level please don't bother to forward it. Thought perhaps it was on a par with "Moon Is Down" or "Of Mice and Men". Did you read Cain's "The Postman Always Rings Twice"?

No comments: