VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: August 20, 1944          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

August 20, 1944

(Letter from Vic in Bougainville to brother Paul in Berkeley, California. Photo is of entertainers Patty Thomas and Francis Langford in Bougainville, who performed at the USO show there in early August 1944.)

Sunday afternoon,

Your last letter of the 10th arrived Friday with the four prints enclosed I'd asked for. No, I haven't read "Man's Fate" and I appreciate you sending same along with a copy of the "Decameron". You mentioned a picture of yourself will it be with the books or was it supposed to've been enclosed within your recent letter?

Has my previous letter arrived with the three snap shots of Hope, Langford, Colonna and Thomas? Did the twenty buck P.T.A. check arrive?

Well, Jack Benny, Carole Landis, June Bruner, Larry Adler, and Martha Tilton did arrive here early in the week and toured the island for three or four days. I saw their show and thought it was swell.

Was reading the special service bulletin about coming films to be shown in this theatre and noted that the Army is not accepting anymore melodramatic war films and flag-wavers from the Overseas Motion Picture Service (Hollywood) for overseas consumption.

Give Yuts and Ted my regards the next time you see them and urge them to write frequently. Phil hasn't answered fro some time and I was wondering whether he had a new address when last writing you. Did you remind Bill Fiala to write? That boy isn't exactly prompt when it comes to replying. Have you heard anything as to whether or not he's set the wedding date? Did Yuts and Ted get home on furlough?

Do you hear much from Ray Reed these days? Recently I had a letter from hims - first in several months. Mike Principe still has visited me and I doubt whether he'll be able to make it. To whom did you send prints of those negatives I forwarded you some time back.

No, I've never been to Carmel but from your description I gather it must be quite scenic. Just inland from there the old Hearst ranch (Hunter-Liggett Military Reservation) must begin. That's where the C. Roberts lads get manuevers. I don't know what the coast-line up thereabouts looks like, but I've followed it from a town just west of San Luis Obispo down thru Santa Maria & Santa Babara. That section was swell.

Do you get out on such interesting trips very often. Are you a fiend for salt water swimming? I've just about had my fill of it and won't be complaining about the lake, quarry, or even Root River once I get home. However, the beaches here undoubtedly surpass even Atlantic Center or Jones Beach and the surf is big
(sometimes terrifically so!) and the water clean.

Still, most G.I.s prefer fresh water bathing. There are a few streams around but they're never more than waist-deep. I once did find a place where the swift current had gouged out the soft rock to a depth of about six feet, though. One can't swim just anywheres 'cause these streams supply our drinking water. In our btry. area we rely upon well-water for showering and clothes-washing. We dig down to depths ranging from five to fifteen ft. (depending on the water level) and place empty drums with ends cut out one on top of the other. Then the sides are filled in with dirt and a cover fitted over the top for screening purposes. Another drum with piping is supported on framework for a show.

Well, guess I'd best close now. Write soon!

Your brother,
Vic

No comments: