VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: September 27, 1944          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

September 27, 1944

(Letter from Vic in Bougainville to brother Paul sent to their parents home in Racine, Wisconsin. Photo is of entertainer Larry Adler in Bougainville, who performed at the USO show there in early August 1944.)

Wednesday evening,

Dear Paul,

Thanks for you letter. Was slightly surprised at the trend of your lecture. Apparently you didn't notice what I was referring to as regards the type of articles I mentioned. Will discuss this later in this letter. Am forwarding this home 'cause I presume you'll be in Racine within several days after the time of its arrival.

I'm sure the watch is OK and I quite agree with you on the present qualities of "Swiss" watches being manufactured nowadays. They compose the majority of the few watches purchasable overseas. At irregular intervals our supply gets a few which are 'raffled' off. The winners then purchase the watches. They range in price from eighteen to thirty bucks, and within a few days they're inoperative. In other words, they're just so much junk that someone's dumped on the market.

I haven't been fortunate enough even to qualify to buy one. The watch I received from Ed & Rudy is again on the blink. Everyone seems to develop watch trouble in these climes, and to top it off I had to break the watch-strap & lose the spring pin retainers. The G.M. watch repair only handles spare parts for G.I. Elgins, etc. (issued to 1st three graders) and even such maintenance is limited.

Paul if you'd seen all the correspondence I've been carrying on with the Armed Forces Institute merely to enroll for a course you'd realize that all isn't as well as appears. Believe it was last April or May that I wrote to Horlick High concerning info as regards credits. After some time they politely refered me to Madison for forms which I did. These then had to go to Ft. Sill & then back to Madison. They in turn wrote Horlick High and then both wrote to me saying I needed such & such credits, giving course numbers, etc. and evaluating my in-service training.

I then enrolled (more blanks!) for a course in Am. History. After about a month they notified me that I could switch to the South West Pacific Area U.S.A.F.I. which I did. Then SWPA said they didn't have that course number on hand as yet and suggested I wait. Later they re-turned my forms & money order, and suggested I re-enroll for the Am Hist under the old course number or else take another course.

Meanwhile, Madison sends me more dope on new courses offered. Well, about two wks. ago I sent in an application to SWPA for their new course in Economics and told them to forward me the old if the former wasn't as yet available. So now the spring & summer has passed and here I am still awaiting the first lesson in anything!

Understand one has to send in at least a lesson a month so I wonder what happens if there's a campaign going on. Well, I hope to get something done on this score when and if a course arrives. Can't say now how I'll progress, but at this time I have ambitions to get several courses completed.

Sunday nite, the twenty-fourth, I saw the world premier of the new film "Marriage Is a Private Affair" starring Lana Turner up at Bosley Fields. Leastwise it was advertised locally as a first showing and don't believe it's been released back there yet. Anyhow, Lana gives a short talk to the G.I. audience in the first few feet of film preceeding the actual titleheading, etc.

In the Arts Building up at B.F. a swell Art Exhibit has been showing now for several wks. Some excellent work is featured & I believe I'll see it again. Naturally, the works deal with typical scenes hereabouts and are very realistic. Better than I thought could possibly be done overseas. Much time was put into many of the water colors, oils, sketchings, carvings and butterfly collections.

I sincerely appreciate the efforts you've taken to try to have had prints made from those faulty negatives and in endeavouring to purchase a High Standard or Woodsman for me. Please don't bother with them any more. I'm sorry to've put you to so much trouble. Discard those two negatives and forget bout the hand gun. Can't think of anything I want sent over for Xmas so don't bother about seeking any gift for me. Yes, I'd appreciate receiving those phamplets you mention. No, I haven't received your package containing your photograph and "Decameron" and "Man's Fate".

Paul, that was some verbal going-over that you gave me, but I still don't think that you realize I was merely refering to some articles refering to G.I.'s in these parts that have appeared from time to time in those previously mentioned magazines. Of course, I realize what their editorial policies are, whom they're dictated by, and what they represent or attempt to represent. You'd be surprised at the number of fellows who're enlightened to the point where they can begin to see what's what concerning the press. Will continue this discussion later.

Regard,
Vic

(In the margins of the three page letter, Vic writes....)

Two & a half wks ago (the tenth & eleventh of this month, to be exact) Mike Principe visited me for two days here. He was flying back to his base south of here after a run up above and managed to stop over, catching another air-ride out the next day. We had quite a bull session & he has fourteen of my prints that he'll give or send you when he gets home in October or so. Please keep them for me.

Imagine you're wondering what I'm refering to when I mention old and new course numbers in the same subject. Well, it seems the latter are much more simplified & consist of less lessons. Quite a few fellows within the Bn. are subscribing to various courses.

Which reminds me that my stationery supply is nil. Would you please enclose a few sheets in your next letter as well as some stamped air-mail envelopes? Put a strip of wax paper between the sticky gummed surface & the envelope itself. Send only a moderate supply of paper & envelopes at one time.

No comments: