VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: August 19, 1945          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

August 19, 1945

(Letter from Vic in the Philippines to younger brother Paul in Berkeley, California. Photo shows solider playing violin.)

Dear Paul,

Received your last two letters dated 24th July and 3rd August respectively almost a week ago, but have previously mailed you a brief reply accompanying those pics that several friends sent some time back.

No, I don't have any requests for books or film at the present time. However, I'd appreciate a sub to George Seldes' "In Fact", the highly enlightening weekly newsletter. If you're not in position to arrange this due to lack of that L.I. address please ask Rudy to arrange same at the earliest possible date. Will you let me know how you make out?

According to last nites' news broadcast, the Army will discharge around 1 1/2 million troops of the estimated million eight hundred thousand troops over here in the Pacific during the next ten months. Thus, I hope to make the States for good sometime during the next six to ten months. If they give priority to combat troops (which I doubt) I might even make it in 4 or 6 months. You must remember that from experience most of us over here are outright pessimists insofar as the Army's concerned. Everything the War Dept does that says will effect us we say is either impossible or improbable.

Was intending having Mother purchase you a birthday present but it's too late how hence I'm enclosing 40 bucks that you might get yourself something useful.

Your brother,
Vic

No comments: