VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: September 2, 1945          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

September 2, 1945

(Letter from Vic in the Philippines to younger brother Paul in Berkeley, California. Photos show Vic posing in front of destroyed Japanese aircraft.)

Cagayan Valley, N. Luzon, P.I.

Sunday evening,

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for your three letters containing all those reprints as I'd previously requested. No I won't want any enlargements. These are very satisfactory. However, I hope that you sent copies to both Rudy and Ed as well as a set to the folks along with the negatives.

Today Ben. Mun Bing Louis, another fellow and I drove around some and took some pics. In several we had Nip planes for the background. Am sending the film in to the Army photo Service to-nite. Hope you've taken a few snap-shots recently and'll be sending me copies in the near future.

Say you promised me a few of your girl-friend some time back. Please give me a few details about her. Sounds like you're going steady with her. Is she a student at Cal.?

Sorry to disappoint you but I won't be coming home for a long time. You mentioned having rented an apartment in anticipation of my arrival. Hell, I don't think I'll make it back stateside during the next six months. Only way one is fairly certain of getting prompt passage back that way is to sign an enlistment in the Regular Army and go home on a 90 day furlough. Such a character will either be a brass-hat with a racket or some island-happy lad. Most enlisted men want no part of this set-up.

Won't commit myself as regards college. Personally, I can't quite see it 'cause what I'd like to take up requires altogether too many back ground subjects and credits. Jake V. hasn't written to me in ages and I know nothing of his post-war plans. Regards. Write soon!

Your brother,
Vic

(You haven't told me if you received the 40 buck money order.)

No comments: