VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: October 13, 1942          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

October 13, 1942

(from Paul to Rudy and Ann, typed letter on Michigan State College stationary from East Lansing, Michigan)

Dear Rudy and Ann,

I was glad to get your card and letter and also to hear that you've found a better place to live. You probably noticed that I've got a new address, too. Well, this is the fourth place I've stayed since I've been down here. All the others were just temporary.

There's a terrific housing shortage around here since the Army took over one of the college dormitories and since the Olds gun plant has been going full blast. I've got a half-decent room, so I'm going to keep it for the term, anyway.

Boy, the prices around here are terrific compared to Angola. I'm refering to restaurant meals, mainly. The cafeteria in the College Union is just as bad in that respect as the others.

This place is so big that you get tired just walking between classes. I have to classes that are consecutive, and they're in buildings way over a half mile apart. We're supposed to make it in ten minutes.

Say, maybe you hear Vox Pop last night. It was broadcast from the main Auditorium and I thought it was pretty good, but of course it was all rehearsed. Those United Nations heroes are coming here Friday. I think that Russian girl that killed 300 Nazis is among them. Classes, campus, students, etc., everything here is different from Tri-State. Here we have class on Saturday, mine being from 8:00 to 12:00.

I got a long letter from Vic the other day, too. It seems he's getting some kind of radio training, and he doesn't like it very much. I'll put his address on the back of this sheet, in case you can't locate it among your things.

Well, Ann, what are you going to be, a welder or a riveter? It seems like all the women are taking up those two jobs.

It's time for supper, so I'd better sign off.

Very Best regards,

Paul

Pvt. Victor Petersen
12th Reg.-55th Bn. F. A.
3rd Platton
Camp Roberts, Calif.
U.S. Army

No comments: