VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: September 15, 1942 - 2          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

September 15, 1942 - 2

(from Paul Petersen to his older brother Rudy and wife Ann)

Dear Folks,

We received your card the other day, but just got around to answering it. Vic left yesterday for Ft. Sheridan along with 270 Racine fellows. He didn't seem to mind going. Sig Petersen, Bob G and about 75 left today. Vic sold his car last week for $350 cash to the same guy he bought it from. I think he did pretty good at that don't you. Vic gave me $330 of it to go to school on. He also got two weeks pay when he left Case's.

I suppose you know that I joined the Enlisted Reserve, Unassigned, which is part of the Army. It's one of the reserves where you can finish school unless they want you. I came home the 27th and started working at Hartmann's the following Monday. I quit there yesterday, because I want a coupla days off before I go back to school next Monday. After seeing Vic off yesterday, I came home an found an order to report for induction from the Indiana Draft Board. I went down to a Racine board and they told me to ignore the order since I am already in the Army. I hope they're right.

I am not going back to Tri-State next Monday, but instead to Michigan State College, East Lansing, Michigan. I can get a good transfer of credits there because they're on the quarter system just like Tri-State.

Lloyd Valentine is coming home today on 15-day leave. You know he was on the Wakefield, the troop transport that just burned off the East coast.

Ma said that she would get busy on those pillows for you next week. I'm enclosing a few pictures clipped out of the papers of some fellows you know.

That's all for now.

Best regards,

Paul

No comments: