VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: December, 2001          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

December, 2001


(This is the last letter Vic ever wrote. It was never mailed and it's unknown who was the intended recipient. After the war, Vic received his High School Diploma and returned to work at the Case farm equipment company. In the early 1950's he moved to Los Angeles and worked for the Bendix automotive company. He got married twice, but had no children. He died at his home in North Hollywood in early 2002 at the age of 83. This letter was found on his writing table. Photo shows Vic - on left, with his friend Ben Louie squatting, and two other soldiers posing in the Philippines in 1945. Ben Louie died in Sacramento shortly after Vic. This letter completes Vic's Army Trunk.)

Wed.

Hello!

Many thanks for writing. I've been in poor physical health for a long time and was hospitalized in ER of Kaiser Permanente, Panama City again last week for 2 1/2 or three days. Friends from Heatherdale here rushed me up there and also returned to get me upon notification.

I've sent out no holiday cards this year and have many that I must respond to (especially Europe - Denmark, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland - to their beautiful cards, msgs., and photos.) During the past year I've been hospitalized at least 3 times and also spent last years' big holiday period inside Kaiser.

Thurs. or Fri. - Dec. 29?

It's now a week later (since I began this) and still haven't finished reading all the holiday cards and letters I've been getting - let along begun answering. Tho I sent Ben Louie a letter and some old snapshots (many from WWII) a week or so before I entered the hospital - haven't had a reply. Other guys from our old outfit have sent me cards & letters but no one has mentioned Ben - hope he's OK and still around.

You could swap (exchange) stuff from me with George Conrad. Do you see him?

Inside a letter and card I rec'd at Kaiser hosp/ was this match cover from our UAW union local secretary/treasurer who made quick holiday trip to his home in Iowa.

Wishing you both all the very best.

Love,
Vic

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Thank you for posting this Blog.. our family has enjoyed viewing and reading the history of our father Ben and his good army friend Vic..
Happy Memorial Day~
Cindy

dl said...

I thought I had read each letter, but today while reviewing the archives and copying some of the photos, I found I had not...I'll be back. I visited Vic and his second wife a number of times when they lived in North Hollywood and I recall that is wife was quite ill with cancer on my last visit...but I regretfully lost touch after I moved to Colorado in January 2000. We got a kick out of Vic--quite a "grandma" in some ways. I see from his letters that he was a union man since his younger days. In the 60s, we memorized union songs off the LP he gave us--"this land is your land, this land is our land...." The December of Vic's last letter was the month our dad, Ben Louie, learned he had lung cancer--he'd be suffering from lack of breath for a number of months. Ben passed away in August 2002. They are both missed still. Denise Louie

Blogger G said...

I don't know if anyone reads these comments, but I didn't see another way to make contact. I am currently writing a book about my father's World War II experience. It appears that Victor's experience closely matches that of my father. They sailed together on the USAT Sea Witch, even witnessing the same equator-crossing ceremony. Apparently, they both ended up on New Georgia in August, 1943. They both called North Hollywood home at some point. I would be overjoyed if we could share information on these two fine men. Please contact me if you are so inclined. Many thanks.