VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: October 15, 1945          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

October 15, 1945


(Letter from Vic in the Philippines to younger brother Paul in Berkeley, California. Photo shows war damaged pier in Manila.)

Monday evening,

Dear Paul,

Yes, I'm still here at Camp La Croix. According to rumour our sailing date has been changed to something like the first of November. Personally, I'll discount the whole works, and only when I'm aboard ship will I actually believe we're at last headed for home.

Yesterday I was in Manila on pass. Went over to Nick Julian's unit and learned he'd departed the day before upon very short notice. Understand he went to the 29th Replacement Depot prior to embarkation for the States. He's getting out on that over 35 yrs. and 2 yrs. service deal.

Incidentally, here in the div. we've quite a few guys who're eligible for same and many other men with high-points (80,85,90 & 95) but they're getting screwed in that they'll have to wait and go home with the div. The GHQ, Service Command, and other base and rear echelon units get all the breaks.

Not that Nick doesn't deserve it 'cause he's not in such good shape. In N.G. he had a spinal injury lifting something heavy and said x-rays showed one of his vertebrae to be broken. However, even tho he's a medic in a hospital detachment they never did much for him.

While in Manila I began to feel quite bad shortly after noon. Because there's practically no place to sit down in town for even a short break without parting with a fair part of a month's pay, I went into one of the very few remaining theatres. That is, I first sweated out a two-block-long ticket line.

Upon entering the theatre proper I stood for nearly an hr. awaiting a seat. When I finally parked my rear I was in poor condition and felt so damn punk that I sat there thru 2 1/2 shows resting.

A G.I. next to me said his gang were driving back up to Angeles so I decided to ride along for 25 miles and then get off where the two main hi-ways split. Could've waited until 11:PM 'til my truck headed back but I couldn't stand the misery of waiting around so I took off about 7:30. In all it took three rides to get into camp which is a good 65 miles. Checked into the aid station, had temp. taken, got quinine, and hit the sack about 10:30.

Well today's blood smear came back positive on the malarial check, but it didn't surprise me 'cause I knew all along what it was. After five knock-downs from the stuff I should damn well know all the symptoms. Anyhow, I'm on quarters now getting plenty of quinine which kinda knocks one out.

Our generator is on the blink hence no lights for the battery to-nite. Am writing by candlelight and'll retire early 'cause I've a head-ache and think the fever is coming back. Believe the div. doesn't want to evacuated anyone for hospitalization unless in an emergency because we're so close to shipping out, and they probably figure a guy'd rather lay around on quarters than leave the outfit and take the chance of missing the boat with the rest of the guys. Well, so far this recurrent attack has been damn mild as compared to my last when we were making the push up north last July.

Just got word that we're to be issued "Eisenhower" blouses and overcoats to-night so I'll have to get in the formation in a short while. Bet the fits and material will be as sloppy as ever. Recently we received a set of O.D.s which were crummy as hell and general misfits. We've more clothes now than we need, but they continue issuing stuff probably thinking we'll all die of influenza, pneumonia, etc. the first day in a cool climate. That gag is that we've only one back to stuff it into and we carry that around with us. Boy! you should try to lift mine up as it's loaded now.

The line is still very long and I certainly don't want to stand around sweating it out. Maybe I'll wait till morning to draw my woolens. These new guys we received are seemingly all chow-hounds and "come-firsts" 'cause every time I see a formation awaiting something the majority in line and always the head of same will be composed of these new guys. Guess we've been over too long to get excited about anything the Army does or gives out.

Say, Paul, I still haven't come to any definite conclusions regarding post-war plans. Some fellows here are positively going to school, but either they've already had some such or else they were just out of high school and may've been planning to enter some college when they entered service. Practically all of them haven't held a steady job in civilian life and don't believe they'll have much of a chance to get one for several years.

I only completed on of my three A.F.I. correspondence courses and don't think I can finish the whole thing up to credit the necessary credits before becoming a civilian. As things are now, I'll be the only son at home and think I should stick around for awhile at least. Do you plan to remain in Calif. indefinitely? Do you have any job in view out there for the future? Say, don't answer now but let me know later. I'll write again later this wk.

Your brother,
Vic.

P.S. - I'm enclosing three old prints that I want you to send on. Just got them from another fellow in the section when we traded some pics.

No comments: