VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: April 19, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

April 19, 1943

(letter written from Vic to his parents, Peter and Emilie. Written from Fort Sill, Oklahoma.)
Monday evening,

Dear Folks,

Received your letter this afternoon. Imagine Paul is home by this letters' arrive. Tell me what your plans are Paul. I believe you'd best go back to school and finish your education. Unless perhaps you intend getting some defense work. In which case remember to stay within your physical means! Don't be so foolhardy as to tackle some tough grind.

Dave Altman was to have met me here at the barrack, and we'd intended going to a nearby State Park over the weekend. After no appearance on his part at 6 pm Saturday, I went into Lawton. Just after my departure he arrived from Chickasha, and some bunk-mates here must have misunderstood me when they told him I'd gone to Duincan. I assume that's where he went 'cause I didn't see him again.

Met Vic Valenti in town and he introduced to one Sgt. John (?) Sokol from Highway 11 just out of Racine. Said he lives near the grocer Henrickson (?). He runs the store on the corner of State & Prospect. This fellow left today for Ordnance O.C.S. in the Carolinas or Georgia.

Sunday morning I went up to Vic's outfit, the 689th F.A., where we ate dinner and then went over to the O.C.S. area. There we met Floyd Larson and Marshal Eckblad (both of Harriet St.). If they can stick it out another 6 wls, they'll be commissioned 2nd Lt's in the F.A. Would be nice to have the J-T put this in as it's unusually that we got to-gether. Fact is, I didn't know they were in the Army and Vic V. had just recently learned where they were.

Rudy has often mentioned a fellow from Paterson who's stationed in the reception center here for the present. After writing him, he came over yesterday while I was out. That's exactly how things go in the Army. Will write again soon.

Your son,
Vic

Vic V said Racine was more or less of a graveyard. Will have to see for myself when we get a furlough.

No comments: