VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: August 19, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

August 19, 1943


(Letter from Vic to his parents, Peter and Emilie. Written on Fort Sill stationary. Written from the Pacific, probably from New Georgia in the Solomon Islands. Photo is of group of Solomon Islanders.)

Thursday

Dear Folks,

Undoubtedly you've been wondering why I haven't written recently. Well the reasons are many and censorship wouldn't permit the answering of any of them, I believe.

I am in good health but the heat isn't exactly to my liking. Most of my meager stationary supply is in bad condition due to the elements but I salvaged this from my bag. Disregard the title address as it's very misleading.

I saw Phil and many other Racine fellows back down the line and they enjoyed talking to someone fresh from the States. Phil and I had much to talk over but we're widely seperated again. A fellow I was confirmed with is in his outfit as well as a fellow who lived over on Hamilton St. just off Carlise Ave.

Quite a few of that crowd knew Rudy and asked that I convey their regards. Trouble was, everyone neglected to give me their names and I likewise forgot to ask them for same so I can't pass on their regards.

Will you kindly forward some stationary as well as govt. printed air-mail letters with the impressed seal? Remember to pack the envelopes so as to neutralize the sticking gum edge. The humidity will normally close them and everything decays or rusts away rapidly in these parts.

I will try and collect some Jap equipment or items as souvenirs. Possibly I can send something without military connection home in the near future.

My letters may come in greater intervals but don't worry. Please see that my friends get this address as I haven't materials to write them.

Mother, I haven't a birthday card to send you or Paul, but I'll send you my best wishes. Did you get all the letters, etc. I inquired of. At this writing, I still haven't received any mail since leaving the States.

Your son,
Vic

1 comment:

Blogger G said...

I don't know if anyone reads these comments, but I didn't see another way to make contact. I am currently writing a book about my father's World War II experience. It appears that Victor's experience closely matches that of my father. They sailed together on the USAT Sea Witch, even witnessing the same equator-crossing ceremony. Apparently, they both ended up on New Georgia in August, 1943. I would be overjoyed if we could share information on these two fine men. Please contact me if you are so inclined. Many thanks.