VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: May 31, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

May 31, 1943

(letter from Paul to brother Rudy and wife, Ann. Written from Racine, Wisconsin to Passaic, New Jersey)

Here's my long overdue letter. Thanks for your recent card & letter. Say, Ann, did you ever get that pillow case that I sent from Scott Field.

Well, I'm finally working. I went to Vocational school for 8 hrs. per day up until a week ago when I started at Twin Disc. So far I've been running an end mill most of the time, but I should get some work on a lathe tomorrow. I'm only getting 70 cents per hr., but if I'm not getting considerably more after being there four week I think I'll look for something else. I could have started in other shops at a better price, but I took this because I thought I would have a greater variety of jobs & therefore be able how to run (& set-up) various machines.

Say, Rudy, are you still in the shipping dept. at Wright's. I really was planning on coming down to work, but your letter kind of changed my mind.

Ray Reed goes into the Navy tomorrow as a machinist mate 2/c, I believe. Maybe he got it fixed to go in as a 1/c petty officer, as he wasn't sure which it would be when I last saw him.

This town has certainly changed as far as I'm concerned. All the guys my age are gone - in fact I feel rather lost.

I saw Norman Hanson several times. He got divorced again and he drinks like a fish. He's making pretty good dough at Racine Tool, but spends more than he makes.

Ma saw Alfre Evans wife & she got his address at Ft. Monmouth, but since he's going to get transferred to a different part of the same camp soon, she thought she'd better way & give the more definite address. I'll send it down soon as we get it.

Pa has been working at Honlicker, painting on the outside, for the past several weeks. He drinks so much malted milk that he comes homes and groans about it giving him a stomach ache.

Let's hear from you soon.

Best regards from us all,
Paul

No comments: