VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: March 10, 1945          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

March 10, 1945

(Letter from Vic in the Philippines to brother Paul in Berkeley, California. Photo shows soldier standing with Filipino civilians.)

Saturday,
Philippines

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your letter of the 24th February which I received yesterday. Believe you still owe me several replies, but they might already be forthcoming on your part at this date.

Say, when next you write Yuts will you please convey my thanks to him for the role of 120 and 116 that I recently received from him? Each time I receive word from him he's at a new address and he tells me that no letter of mine has arrived for months. Evidentally my letters bear the wrong addresses or else there's some other screw-up 'cause I've been writing him at regular intervals.

Also I wish to thank you in advance for Snow's "People On Our Side" as well as the stationery and pics. Haven't received the package yet but it should be due shortly. Joanne Hetts sent me Cains' "Three of a Kind" while Ann sent Louis Adamic's "My Native Land", Ray Joseph's "Argentine Diary", & Howard Fast's "Freedom Road." Those novels should keep me pretty well occupied for the present.

Have been back at the btry. for the past two days and the set-up is OK. Can't tell how G.I. this life may become but I've a hunch it'll be ole Army garrison style shortly. With us that means a headache. Can't give the actual dope on the situation 'cause I'm afraid it'd conflict with existing censorship regulations.

There's an acute cigarette shortage hereabouts. Five days ago the men were issued one pack per man. Expect another one to-day. Up front I smoked two packs plus daily when available but sometimes the inf. rationed out only eight of ten fags per man daily which crimped us. Smokes'n'Java will almost keep one going up there (temporary) but it's not the best thing for the nervous system.

No, I haven't been able to send in any Armed Force Insti. lessons in over three months. Have only one to go on my economics course and'll start on it in the near future - I hope.

Best regards,
Your brother, Vic

P.S. - Noticed I missed a few topics that I'd previously intended covering briefly so here goes.

The GIs are rapidly becoming acquainted with the people here, but most of them are inclined to be attracted to the opposite sex. Dances are now being held and social affairs will probably be shortly organized. Our films are mostly old stuff we saw last year, but the Special Service must have at least a few recent releases.

Which reminds me that I intend taking some snap-shots with some old film I now have on hand. Will have to look around for some good scenes, but don't have ambition to chase all over for shots.

Say, did Mike Principe ever hand over those 14 or so pics that I gave him about six months ago when he visited me? Does he ever write you or vice versa? Do you correspond regularly with Ray Reed & Bill Fiala? If so, how about requesting them to drop a line thisaway?

Did I tell you that I met Max Mueckler here? His outfit moved but he promised to look me up. Had a letter from Ran DeFaut that I answered last week. Write!

Regards,
Vic

No comments: