VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: May 13, 1945          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

May 13, 1945

(Letter from Vic in Philippines to brother Paul in Berkeley, California. Photo shows two Japanese bills from war. The top one is a 50 Sen note from 1938 showing Mt. Fujiyama, Sunshine and Cherry blossoms. The bottom one is a 50 sen note from 1942 showing the Yasukuni Shrine. )

Sunday morning,

Dear Paul,

Well, I guess it's time I commenced writing again. Several days ago I sent you a regular letter containing five negatives that I want prints made of. That was the first letter I'd written in over a month to anybody. didn't get to knock any others out since, but intend writing quite a few to-day.

Am enclosing two snap-shots that Elmer sent me and three German currency bills that Johnny Rody sent. Also you'll note a Japanese bill. Please send these items on home in one of your next letters to the folks.

Tried to get a refraction of my eyes but the Army in these parts doesn't seem to service us to any extent. Leastwise I couldn't get any satisfaction from the jerks after spending almost the whole day in a large hospital getting eye tests. Said jerks claimed supplies were short (but they did fit civilians while I was there) and that I could drop in at my convenience in three or four months and pick up a new pair. Meanwhile I continue to use these misfits with the cracked & tarnished frame.

In three or four months from now I could possibly even be in China or Japan. Yeah, it's the ole Army game of passing the buck. Army dentists operate under the same rules - "come back again in six months and we may be able to fix you up." Trouble is, they keep better hrs. that bankers could possibly hope to and don't recognize the war. Wish someone had the authority to get these rear-area commandoes off their fat asses and put them to work. Best thing could happen would be to have them all broken & transferred into the infantry as much needed replacements to fill the ranks of the guys who do all the work without the comforts, credit or recognition.

Received a swell letter from Fred Blair from Milw. the other day. It certainly is lengthy & deserves a somewhat detailed reply.

I saw Nick Julian again the other day. Max Mueckler is some distance from here at present I've recently learned. May run into him within the next few weeks however.

Please write as often as you can.

Your brother,
Vic

No comments: