VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: February 13, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

February 13, 1943

(letter from Vic to brother Paul, written on U.S. Army stationary, written from Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. On second page is a drawing illustrated reading "IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO TRIED AND DIED ECC-FAS FT. SILL")

Saturday afternoon

Dear Paul,

I just recieved your letter and thought I'd answer promptly. Didn't I mail you a reply the other day other than a postcard?

To-day we wound up the week with a three hour exam that I flunked according to acceptable solutions. Have only gotten only one corrected exam returned, and that was the 2 hr. communications one in which I made S. There's only three given grades and they are SEX (Excellent solution), S (Satisfactory) and U (Unsatisfactory). The latter grades are common class marks. Seems about 80% barely gives the pupil an S.

Did Yuts get to see you last week-end as he planned? Are you near the end of your finances? Ruts and Ed both mentioned writing you and the folks after I'd pressed them. Do they write regularly?

Am enclosing some clippings the folks just sent down and a clipping from Life. Also some weekly schedules.

Did I tell you I'd received a long letter from Phil Mascaretti this week? He's on an island in the south-west Pacific below the equator where the spoken language is French. In the clipping taken from the J-T you just forwarded there's a letter from a loui at the same location.

Haven't seen "Moon and Six-Pence" but did see "In Which We Serve" which is an outstanding sea warfare film. Beinging this week we're shceduled to have additional classes - 1830 to 2130. This will go on for at least the first month in advanced practical and theoretical radio work. Having had no physics and little algebra I'm going to some time!

Think I could manage to make OCS but as that a continuation of this nightmare I'd intend staying within the commissioned level. Drop a line!

Your brother, Vic

Forward any or all of clippings to Rudy and Ed.

No comments: