VIC'S ARMY TRUNK: February 26, 1943          
           
         
   
     
       
     
     
       

February 26, 1943

(letter from Vic to brother Paul, written from Ft. Sill on station log radio operator paper, hand printed in telegraph operator script as illustrated)

Dear Paul,

Thanks for the letter. I received it to-day and heard from the folks yesterday. Neither Ed, Rose, Gloria, Rudy nor Ann have written of recent date. Did you know Git is staying with Ed? They last mentioned Ed is head of the grievance committee of the Fairlawn plant. Being a vice-president of the local I guess he's kept busy.

Yuts wrote the other day and from his letter I gather (his version of course) East Lansing is a rather dead burg. Couldn't you show him anything to his interest?

Am printing these line on rad. oper. stationary as you can gather, and again am doing it during nite class. We've so damned much homework and reading that most of the boys have become so discouraged as to give up all pretense of even studying. Quite a few appear for the first role-call and then take off and head either for the P.X., Rec Hall, Theatre, or town. To our surprise, the nite instructor pulled a fast one the other nite by having a role-call at dismissal (2130). Absentee names were submitted the 1st Sgt. and same were given one weeks' KP or table-waiter. Boys've found means of avoiding such happenings since.

We're damned deep in radio at this writing that I doubt if it's possible to return to normal life again. You mentioned you would it touch - well how the hell do you think I find it? Having had no prepatory practical or theoretical work in this field and little algebra, you can well imagine the utter confusion amongst the class. Were you able to get the scope of our course from recent schedules I've forwarded you? Will enclose another these pages and also clipping from Racine J-T.

My foreman, ass't foreman, and various officials of the J.I. Case Co. have written me of late due one letter on my part concerning situations. Discretely mentioned bonus and wage increase (retroactive) yet they apparently fully understood and in replying covered everything but that. However, Mother has cashed my bonus check and I should receive that other check.

At Roberts majority of army rad oper come out slow speed (under 25 w.p.m) and I only made 17 by graduation. Here the proceedure is so different I can't pass the 14 tape (table and field tests). My tranmitting has picked up somewhat of late, but seems they discourage knocking it out fast when you're not up to where they think you should be in receiving.

Dropped a brief line to Ray Campbell the other day. Have you heard his way? Had card from Bob G from Floria but he said he's so damned rushed he didn't have time to take a crap. Sounds familiar. Waiting for more word from Phil M.

Leonard Hoey (Bob's brother) writes me off and on from upstate N.Y. where he's taking some Navy course, but Bob doesn't write. Lenny said the folks had a Xmas teleram from him but didn't mention whereabouts. Never hear from Jake V. or Bob M.

Bunch I was with at Roberts, that is the largest group assigned on div., are getting or are on 15 day furloughs at this writing. Several of them keep me posted from East Garrison (Tactical Unit) and believe they're going across come April.

Can make O.C.S. but have no iniative in that line at this time. Reason - I wish to remain somewhat balanced mentally. that bug-house turns out products for us to associate with here at the F.A.S. and I definitely do not wish to fall into their category.

Wishing you the best of health and luck,
Vic

(written on side of letter)

In writing Bill Fiala, definitely remind him to write me! That guy is really getting lazy. Ray Reed syas he has to keep pushing him for results and Tony Schifano has the same story to tell. How much ambition did he show while you were home for the holidays?

Believe you should be qualified for O.C.S. material. If at all possible endeavor to get into Signal Corps. If that's possible work towards the Ft. Monmouth, N.J. school. That set up is ideal and very instructive. Would try it myself but it's so damnaged hard to get out of the F.A. once they spend so much time training personell in their tactics. Don't go into Infantry as it's a rugged deal and I doubt if you can stand it.

Have hopes of getting into a newly-formed or just being equipped mechanized armored division. Trouble is we're assigned from here and completion and can't apply for transfer until we arrive at designated station. Am going to pester my unknown btry. commander for a furlough at that time too. Now believe I shouldn't take the fourth month here (radio technicians course). By the way, yesterday a big bunch was flunked out.

Question: Exactly what do you mean you continually refer to "the mill"?

No comments: